Friday, May 4, 2007

Day 29: Fine-Tuning Objectives


Cool Blue
Originally uploaded by champy1013.
I don't know why I am attracted to photos of majestic mountains, preferably with some snow, with a big lake or body of water in the foreground. The bluer, the better. I want to feel the cool, crisp air coming out from the photo. A few sprouts of Pine of Cedar tree are definitely a boost.

As I am browsing through Flickr again, trying to find some inpiration, I came across this one. Again, I ask myself: why?

Feng Shui-wise, big mountains are not a good sign in front of you, because it means obstacles. Huge ones! I guess it speaks the condition from my subconscious mind! This dissertation is the size of Mt. Everest, if you ask me! And then some!

But there must always be the presence of water. This is the special part. I find it very soothing in real life to always be near water. I mean, who wouldn't? And some evergreen trees.

I am still trying to think where I used to see my most favorite photo on the web of something that looks similar to this. I think it is a shot from a remote area along the silk route. It is beyond words. It's just like you're stepping into another world of its own altogether. May be that's how they got the word Shangri-la from.

Now, I'm really beating around the bushes. Well, not exactly. Day 29 has not been that productive, dissertation-wise. (Hence, the mountain photo.) First, I got a severe cramp attack that made me consider going to hospital because I thought it may have something to do with doc's reducing my prescription since last hospital visit. Then, I had to go teaching martial arts, then studying Japanese.

But since I made a resolution to make some progress on my dissertation everyday, I somehow made it. I opened a mindmap software and worked on the few maps I have there again. It was amazing to find out how much I could change the maps I drafted up as the outline for the first chapter, using the new information of what I have been reading during the past week alone.

If there is any students who want to do Ph.D. passing by this blog, may be there is one advice I could give you here, spend a lot of time on your dissertation objectives. I believe it holds the key. Well, once you have the passion of what you want to do, perhaps you want to do a lot of things on it.

But the truth is, you have to look at things in perspective. You have to be brave enough to say no even to your many burning desires. You will have many. You have to be wise enough to learn what you can move on with, and what you can not.

Simply put, it is when you are fine-tuning the objectives right at the beginning of your dissertation writing that you are actually making the Final-Cut.

Well, am I done with mine yet? Gee, I don't know. I think I am. And what they are? hee hee hee I won't tell you yet. Let me show them to my advisors first, and let's see what they think about it. And let's see if I have to post more photos of mountains on my blog again! :-p

No comments: