Saturday, May 12, 2007

Day 37: More on Interpretation


"You'll blink before I do"
Originally uploaded by BrianScott.
For some reason, this cute little owl reminds myself of two things: Harry Potter's Owl and myself!

Well, the reason for the latter is because I've been to that Enneagram training and discovered that I'm Type 5 person, the Observer. And, boy, does this owl observe!

I wonder what's on the owl's mind at this particular moment? Well, may be it is trying to make sense at what it is seeing. If that is the case, then this photo fits well with what I'm trying to blog about today, which is my progress on my dissertation. I'm now reading about interpretation techniques for qualitative research.

In my favorite quali research book blogged earlier on Day 28, they neatly put three techniques together: Grounded theory, phenomenology and semiotics. Technique-wise, they put semiotics in the middle between the other two. (p. 82)

Today I've made it half way through semiotics. I am not too excited about grounded theory. I don't think it fits my need here that well. And although phenomenology sounds exactly like vipassana meditation, the best it could do in this case is to offer a complementary role when I cite my mindfulness experience in analyzing things.

The more I read it, the more I'm confident it must be semiotics. I'll be back with more on it later.

On another note, I just got my hands on the Japanese language version of the Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi a few days ago, and I am suitably excited. Well, to think that it has been more than 400 years since it was first written!

However, I'm more eagerly looking forward to read Budo Shoshinshu and Hagakure! Too bad my friend couldn't locate it in any book stores in Japan when she was there for a holiday. Hope to be able to order it through a Japanese book store on the web soon. Those two would be the center piece of my dissertation!

Well, that's about all. Now, this owl must go to bed! :-)

No comments: