Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Day 26: Semiotics: The Book


Semiotics: The Basics
Originally uploaded by nashara.
I am over the moon today when I found out that the very book I'd like to order most at this moment from Amazon.co.uk is available in town! This is the only copy they ordered in at Chula Bookstore and it has just arrived and now I'm the proud owner! Does this mean I'm the only one in Thailand with this book? Whoaaaaaa....amazing!

Semiotics is not for the fainted heart if you want to take it from just a textual analyis to sociological or even philosophical level. It is quite easy to get lost when you are mid-way and the thing is you don't even know why you're there!

And that's exactly why I fell in love (at first sight) with Professor Chandler's web site not so long ago. If you look back in this blog, perhaps you'll even see the date I first started babbling about this new field of study that I discovered. His writing was so such a pleasure to read and he has a way to present his case in such a way that he made me go back to his site over and over again.

And then there is this generosity. I really respect the Professor for being so kind to put this enormous effort intended for his fortunate class on the web for the world to see. His hypertext article is the most fascinating read for both an absolute beginner like me and for advanced readers alike.

Clearly he has put a lot of time developing and refining his material. The fact that he is sport enough to share his knowledge with the world really makes me admire him. And that's why i wanted to support his good effort by buying his book(s)!

It's late now and I'd better go to bed. Got early morning appointment at the hospital tomorrow for my regular checkup. I started reading the book already and it's really worth it!

So, thank you very much Professor Chandler, for your decision to write on this otherwise difficult-to-grasp idea and make it fun and friendly to all.

Respectfully,

nash

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"You have found your bible."
That's how my friend put it.
Every PhD student need the core textbooks for thesis reference. I think you've found yours : )
Congratulations ka!

nash said...

Thank you ja! :) I hope it would be! Still a long way to go, though. Don't know if it would be my core thing, coz semiotics by itself is not a "theory."

What's your "Bible", I wonder? :-)

Thanks for dropping by na.

Unknown said...

I have 6 holy books : )

3 in qualitative methods
3 in health care planning and evaluation

I cited them in most of my papers.