Saturday, May 5, 2007

Day 30: Preparing for Weekend Workshop


golden pavillion IR
Originally uploaded by atrei.
Two days in a row with ice-blue, cool-tone photo posting from Flickr, this is a sure sign that I haven't made much progress dissertation-wise!

Yes, I tend to look for some photos for inspiration of something to write about, when in fact I do not have much to write about.

Today I was asked to write for my late grandmother's memorial book, and also for my alma mater's 80th anniversary book, and also had to follow up on a few errands, not to mention to prepare for this weekend's workshop.

I did, though, flip through my most favorite book, Semiotics: The Basics by Professor Daniel Chandler. I'm still on the first chapter, Models of the Sign.

A quote from the first chapter: "We seem as a species to be driven by a desire to make meanings: above all, we are surely homo significans -- meaning makers."

Wow, that's something! I'll leave you all to ponder this deep thought over the weekend. What is it in your life that you as a person are driven to make meaning of?

No comments: