Friday, April 20, 2007

Day 15: Why Bushido is Still Relevant

Today I didn't have much time to do research or write because I had to teach spochan to the kids and also take Japanese class myself. (Taihen da!)


But since I made a resolution to myself to make some progress on my dissertation everyday, I managed to put my thoughts together on a mindmap, and also make a mental note of which books I would use as reference to my point. In fact, I used to write some articles about it already in Thai. So, when it's time for me to put it together in my dissertation, it's easier for my to put them all together when I look at it from my mindmap.



Without much further fanfare, here it is:



(Click to see a larger mindmap)


Why Bushido Relevant




I also did some more speed-reading on a Thai textbook in Thai titled, "Japan Built Its Nation with Patriotism and Loyalty," by Ajarn Yupa Klangsuwan and still could not make up my mind which part(s) of the book would be most useful to me for more in-depth reading and quoting in my dissertation.




With Love & Loyalty


In this book (p.115, as footnote 13), Bushido was referred to as a "Law" developed since the Kamakura era (1100s) for the "higher-class" samurai to teach responsibility and preach ideology and was later adopted in mid 19 century as the ethical code of conduct to help build the nation with patriotism and loyalty by focusing on selfless sacrifice.


Although according to this book Bushido was said to have had an influence from Zen, it was labelled as a "Confucius' Thoughts and Way of Life."


Ok, not bad for a busy day like this, ne? :-)



No comments: