Sunday, April 22, 2007

Day 17: Interview w/ Sensei

Today I brought my list of Bushido Literature from Tokugawa era to my samurai sword class. (How appropriate!)

After class, I asked sensei to look in my list and make some comments. But, first, I asked about Bushido literature from that period in general first. If there are any other more than my list.

Sensei said actually there are a lot more, but only in old book form (he means actual old manuscripts!) that is available for research only in library. And then there are some historical documents at castles and home of samurai. I think he means those that have been turned into museum. But if talking about those that could be obtained from bookstore, he said I have pretty much covered it. This delighted me a bit. At least I felt I have done my homework well!

Then, I told him my problem and at the same time used it to ask him a question. I told him that these books that I have listed, I already have them in English. There are plenty of the English version, some of them have been translated many times, even, by different translators!

The problem is, when I tried to look for the original Japanese version, I found that it is out of print! Why is that, I asked sensei. Or is it because every Japanese household already has one copy (from, say, Tokugawa period), so they do not need to buy a new copy, hence no need for the new reprint of the Japanese version?

I think my logical reasoning didn't work that well, because sensei did not look that convince. He only told me briefly that, if I ask any Japanese, they would know each book I mention by the name. They would know that it is about Bushido. But they would not know what is it that the book is teaching. Then I asked sensei why.

He did not answer me directly, but he answered me in such a way that made me think. Sensei always does this. He always made me think. He only replied briefly that, Thailand also has this similar problem, doesn't she? hmm.... (Deep!)

Then, I told sensei that, although I could not read Japanese yet (I mean, still very pathetic at around may be grade 2's capability), but I feel that I would like to read the original Japanese version also, in addition to the English and Thai one. Perhaps I could detect something similar in Japanese and Thai that the English version might have missed. Because I already noticed a few things in Japanese Buddhism terms and samurai sword training that my Buddhist mindfulness meditation training in Thailand has enabled me to understand.

To this point, sensei totally agreed and gave me full blessings, because he said he believes there are something missing in the English translation (sensei's English reading skill is very good) and that the Thai and Japanese have so much more in common, not only in culture and history, but also in the trianing of the mind.

Upon hearing this, I felt a surge of hope and courage in my heart. Bit by bit, one tiny step after another, I know I am on the right track. It may not be the world's major discovery or a major breakthrough like a cancer's medicine that can save lives, but I just hope it would be useful enough for people's mind to start them on the path out of suffering. All I need is to make people curious and want to try mindfulness themselves, believing that this could be the tool that helps them deal most effectively with their own suffering.

Sounds like the job of an advertiser. But, hey, that's what I've been doing most of my professional life. And this time it should be much easier even, because all I have to do is to tell the truth. I just have to put it together interestingly, that's all. Sounds just like a slogan of my former agency - - Truth Well Told! :)

No comments: