Thursday, April 12, 2007

Day 8: Tokugawa's Bushido vs. Meiji's Bushido

Today, I was mulling over the idea of doing the content analysis of comparing Bushido literature from the two periods. That would fall right into the realm of my advisor in Japan who has recommended me earlier!



During Meiji Era, the samurai class was effectively gone. And so would Bushido literature, theoretically. Therefore, the only book I know is the one by Professor Inazo Nitobe.

The problems are:

1. Would the idea of comparing Bushido literature from two periods alone would be substantive enough for a Ph.D. dissertation?

2. Would Nitobe's book alone enough to represent Meiji's era thinking?



Well, I still have to put "Transformational Leadership" into the equation, mind you!

Arghhhhhhh!!!!!!

Tough decision! Some body help me, please!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Went to see Than Vor (W. Vajiramedhi), the young scholar monk today at Benjamabopit Temple to make merit & ask him to pray for Grandmom and also to ask his advice on my dissertation.


Upon hearing that I finally found the aspect I would like to talk about--Leadership--, he helped point out to me how Lord Buddha achieved his Leadership Attributes (Barami 10) and what were the tools through which he excercised his Leadership (Tosapolyan 10).


This is one of the reasons I like visiting him. He is such a wealth of treasure, not only on academic stuff, but also on the issue that is most important to me--Mindfulness Practice! Like Lord Buddha once said in Mangala Sutta, to see monks is one of the highest virtues! Indeed it is! :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's so cool (is it the right word to put here? but I do feel it's cool) that you know Than Vajiramedhi in person : )

nash said...

:-) Thank you ja.

Well, I'm indeed fornunate to be able to know him through a kind recommendation of another monk!

It's a "Blessed Connection," man! hee hee hee (oops, is it the right word to put here?) (wink)

I actually helped translated one book for him, "Kluen Nok, Kluen Nai" (External Wave, Internal Wave) and he kindly let me add another chapter to the book! Unfortunately, we did not have a chance to publish it yet! It has been more than a year now. May be 2 years. But it is ok. I am happy to translate it ja.

The English title I gave it was "Disaster Within: Buddhist's Guide on How to Gain Wisdom from Life's Inevitable Crisis" ja. A bit long, I know, but he wants to make it a "how to" book na ja.

My friend who went to Vipassana Chiangmai with me was also kind enough to hire a Japanese translator to translate it into Japanese for me! Who knows, one day we'll get to publish it in 3 languages! Pray for me na. And yes, you'll get a free copy. hee hee hee